Reaping The Benefits Of Attending Accelerated Route To Lean Manufacturing!
Operations Director Brian McKay is already reaping the benefits of attending The Manufacturing Institute’s Accelerated Route to Lean Manufacturing programme (ARTL).
Based in Norfolk he works for Smurfit Kappa, one of the leading providers of paper-based packaging solutions in the world.
Brian studied on the ARTL programme for a day a week over 10 weeks while managing a team of 100 and being responsible for health and safety, quality, engineering, shift managers.
He says: “This is the best lean manager’s course that I’ve ever been on.
“It was excellent and a lot of that was down to the people who were delivering it. They know a lot about our industry and it felt like they were talking directly to us.
“They could relate everything back to real experience and case studies. It was the people that made it stand out.
“I also really enjoyed the site visit to Leyland Trucks. It was good to see they have made their changes and to talk to the people who have made it work. I was very impressed with their error proofing system.
“I took away very useful tools that my team could use with confidence. We’re working on a bottleneck project where we have identified 81 different activities and we’ve now completed 28 which has already led to a 10pc increase in productivity.
“We’ve also learned tools like SMED, office layout, and 5S. I also rolled out a T card system to simplify our admin tasks. It will avoid sending out lots of emails and having to chase people up.
“I really would recommend the ARTL course to other manufacturers.”
More Blog Posts
- ‘I’m just not getting stressed like I used to…’
- Leadership Development Programme helps rubber maker put more bounce in his career
- Clare doubles-up on her Manufacturing Institute training and secures a promotion
- Accelerated Route to Lean Manufacturing helps double production capacity for safety specialists
- What Should You Look For In A Manufacturing Industry Course?
- Reaping The Benefits Of Attending Accelerated Route To Lean Manufacturing!
- An Msc Success Story: Lee Bibby
- Operational Excellence Benchmark Assessment
- A Story Of Development: Andy Gilmartin
- What Does Operational Excellence Mean In Practice?
- Why 2018 Is The Perfect Time For A Shingo Benchmark Assessment?
- Are you facing a skills gap with older, more experienced staff retiring as younger staff join?
- The Manufacturing Institute Runs Shingo Facilitator Training Workshop
- What is Shingo and why should companies invest in it?
- Meet Frank Hayden: The Manufacturing Institute’s Long-Standing Collaborator
- An Outlook For The UK Manufacturing Sector In 2019
- Manufacturing Champions Awards 2018
- Is community the new culture?